14 February 2011

Valentine Tax

This morning when I was driving to work I stopped at a florist to take care of one of my "quehaceres" (kay-ah-SEHR-ess) or "things I have to do". As I entered the shop the owner said:

Buenos días señor. ¿En qué lo puedo servir?
Good morning sir. How can I help you?

I replied:

Buenos días. Estoy para pagar mi impuesto.
Good morning. I am here to pay my tax.

The owner responded with a puzzled look:

¿Impuesto? ¿Qué impuesto?

I said:

Pues, el impuesto de San Valentín !Claro!
Why, my Saint Valentine tax, of course!

At this point everyone in the shop burst out laughing. You know, I am really not into this St. Valentine thing but I am smart enough to realize that women are and the first rule of the game is to stay in the game. I randomly chose a flower arrangement of yellow and white flowers and had him throw in a big red rose to absolutely guarantee that I receive my "besote" (beh-SOH-tay) or "big kiss" and had him deliver it to where my wife works along with a little card upon which I scribbled sweet nothings. You guys out there who don't play the game, I feel sorry for you. If you still just don't get it...you probably won't get any...

5 comments:

Judy said...

Okay, the Macho thing isn't going to work! We all know you are a big softie! But good try anyway. Judy

Bob Mrotek said...

Wow Judy! You sure do have me pegged :)

GlorV1 said...

I always knew you are a softie, like Judy says. I really knew thought because I could read you, yup, I could read you. Tee Hee. I think it is so sweet that you sent flowers to your wife at work along with the sweet nothings. It's a great feeling to get flowers at work. Eloy always did that when I was working, I guess now that I'm a stay at home wife, it's not considered work? hehehehe. Really, he already bought me flowers. Take care and have a great evening with your wife.

ElleCancun said...

Hahaha - too cute! Good job for being a good learner....:) The beso will be yours, I am sure!!

1st Mate said...

I wish you'd have a talk with the Capt about the game.

Hope Gina had a nice surprise for you, too. It goes both ways, doesn't it?

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.