15 September 2007

¡Viva México!

September is “Mes de Patria” or “Patriotic Month” in Mexico when Mexicans young and old celebrate the fight for Mexican Independence from Spain which began in the year 1810. I always like it when September rolls around and the school children start practicing for the big parade. This morning very early, a group of schoolboys and girls marched past my house playing drums and bugles under the watchful eyes of their teachers. They were wearing school uniforms and they were so serious and well behaved that I was very proud of them.

Sunday, September 16th is Mexican Independence Day. As is the custom, everyone gathers in the town square on the evening of the night before and either the president, the governor, or the mayor leads the people in the "Grito" or shout for independence. Please join me in celebrating Mexican Independence with the Mexican people where ever they may be.

¡Viva México!

¡Viva México!

¡Viva México!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I was born and raised in Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A. I have been living in Mexico since January 6th, 1999. I am continually studying to improve my knowledge of the Spanish language and Mexican history and culture. I am also a student of Mandarin Chinese.